Monday, January 17, 2011

Teachers and their influence on children

I have two grand children in Primary School.and one who has just started High School. The school opened yesterday after the December School Holidays. And I wondered who and what my grandchildren's teachers would be. Would they be able to affirm the children?  Would they be able to let the children believe that they as teachers believe in them, trust them have hope for them? Will they be able to encourage them to go beyond? Will they be able to teach the children what they need to know and more? Will they inspire them to go to great heights?
And will they not break their spirits? Will they not muddle them up?
Will tey build them? Will they teach them? Will they help them to succeed? Will they help the children to develop a spirit of success? I want to do well!!
As social worker I have seen the harm that teachers can bring to children - breaking children down, shouting and shaming. I always stand amased at teachers who say we cannot use the rod that is why there is so much chaos in the schools. I beg to differ.Especially in the Primary School. It is the teacher that must take control of the situation. Have rules, have boundaries and stick to them. I have seen unruly High Schoolers where the teacher cannot be to blame as the children are not used to disciplint at home. But then I advise that teachers make the boundaries and let the children take the consequences. Have meetings with the parents etc. In my class there will be order and the work will be done. For these teachers i have lots of emopathy.

But my case is for the child who needs to be encouraged, who needs to be affirmed, who needs to be taught at a far above average level.

My prayer is today that they will have teachers with kindness and wisdom on their tongue!
Tia

No comments:

Post a Comment