Sunday, January 16, 2011

The fight against cancer

I read this

Johannesburg, South Africa - What do Sibongile Khumalo, Sheryl Crow, Cynthia Nixon, Christina Applegate, Kylie Minogue, Melissa Etheridge and Martina Navratilova have in common? It is not just that they are all celebrities – they are also all breast cancer survivors.
Breast cancer is no respecter of social status, wealth, physical fitness or education. One in 29 women in South Africa is diagnosed with cancer every year. But the good news is that with early detection and treatment, the chances of survival are excellent. 

When I was diagnosed with breast cancer Esther Morkel, who is completely healed of cancer, said to me My God is greater than cancer, and I said I believe that my God will heal me. But the road to healing is not an easy one. The oncologist said chemotherapy, more surgery - removal of the left breast - and radiation.  It is a lonesome road and often it is only you and God - even amidst children and friends caring for you in a mind blowing beautiful manner. 

The other day at hospital I met an old lady. Well I am 73 and she is in her eighties. She asked me about my cancer and condition and told me about her healing and that she is only there for a check up. Then she asked me are you a Christian and I said yes, I am, actually I am radically saved. "then" she said "tell them you are healed if that is what you believe. Dont say that you have cancer. " She told me that she is a missionary and travelled all over the world from the little township of Bethelsdorp. Her God is so real to her. She follows the command   "go tell"

James 1: 2 "Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colours. So dont try and get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way"

I recently read the book Vaders voor mijn dochters by Bruce Feiler. It is also in English Council of the Dads and he had it so much worse than I do and he pushed through. It is so difficult when you are so ill and feel so miserable. He called the year of cancer treatment a lost year. It was very difficult and painful for him. He one day said to his wife "Ik hoop dat je een hoge leeftijd bereik, je dierbaren welterusten kust en vredig in je slaap heengaan in plaats van te doorstaan wat ik heb doorstaan." And that was what I always hoped for to like Smith Wigglesworth go sit in a chair and say take me Lord.
I know  I am moving in to a deeper more mature walk with God. I want to live by Divine Disign in total surrender to Him. I wish I can influence all my family and friends to walk this way with me. I am surrendering to His will for me - His will for me is a softer, kinder Tia who will go tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment